Sr Gregory Ryan R.I.P.
Sr. Gregory (Catherine Bridget) Ryan was born in Lisheen, Moyne, Thurles, Co. Tipperary 28th June, 1913. Her parents were John and Sarah Ryan. Gregory was the last surviving member of her family. She was pre-deceased by her sisters Mary and Bridget. She is survived by her nephew Jerry O’Connor, niece Sadie (O’Connor) Aherne and their families.
Gregory entered St. John of God Novitiate, Wexford on 9th September, 1934. She made first profession on 9th September, 1937, Final Profession on 9th September, 1940. Gregory’s first teaching appointment was to Rathdowney where she taught from 1937 – 1945 and again from 1955 – 1957. She also taught in the Faythe School, Wexford and John’s Hill, Waterford. During her time in the Faythe, she had big improvements made for serving lunches to pupils. She had the “Red Shed” as it was then known converted into a well equipped lunch room, thus giving nourishment to needy children. In Waterford school was instrumental in providing a well-equipped cookery room.
Gregory ministered in St. Kieran’s College, Kilkenny from 1947 – 1953 and again from 1969 until her retirement in 1988, a grand total of 25 years! She looked upon her time there as a real opportunity to support and befriend the students and the young men in training for the priesthood. Many of those – now priests – recall with gratitude her kind care and wise counsel. In her latter years of semi-retirement it gave her great joy to visit the College on a regular basis and the priests of the Diocese were very much in her prayers. She kept in close touch with her family and enjoyed her home visits. She had a great love of the St. John of God Community and all of the St. John of God History. She had a real gift for detail and love of story telling.
Gregory’s spirit of faith was expressed in many and various ways during her lifetime. Her commitment to prayer and spiritual reading nourished that faith above all during her final years. She bore the limitations of old age with a true spirit of trust and continued to have a keen interest in her John of God Community and a special welcome for the Sisters visiting the Convent.
Gregory died peacefully on 4th October, 2009. Her requiem Mass was celebrated by Fr. Dan Carroll assisted by a large gathering of priests who by their presence were acknowledging with gratitude her kindness and care of them during their seminary days in St. Kieran’s. Following her Requiem Mass she was interred in Foulkstown cemetery. We thank God for all she has given throughout her life and pray that she is now enjoying the peace of God’s Kingdom.